Monday, December 12, 2011

Jamie's Letter Dec 12, 2011

Hello. I'm here! Are you surprised??
So another week has gone and past. And here I am!

It's been a relatively tranquil week. I still haven't gotten my packages, although there is a small chance I might get them today...but I doubt it. I still need to give the elders my papers telling the people that they have the right to get my packages. But I'm sure I'll get them before Christmas. I'm thinking I'll probably end up calling around...maybe 1 or 2 my tim, which would be 11 or 12 your time. I'm not sure. I think I'll get to call the day before to coordinate really well when I'm going to call, because then I'll have a better idea of my schedule. I'll let you know though. OH! Can you send me the recipe for slush? I want to try and experiement here! And maybe, if possible, could you scan me a copy of some Christmas music...I'm not exactly sure what, a manheim steamrollar or maybe Kurt Bestor...something that I could possibly play for a devo Christmas Eve. Scan it and you can email it to me as a pdf, and I can print it off here. Genius? I think so! But you pick the music. I trust you :)

So this week I had the chance to go and do a...well, in Spanish we call them "visite de trabajo" I'm not sure what they're called in English. It's where we switch companions for a day. I went to go and work in a town called San Pedro de Lloc, which is about 45 minutes away. I went with Hna Aracca, and my old companion, Hna Chamorro came here to Guadalupe for a day. It was really good to work with Hna Aracca. She's from Puno, which is close to Lake Titicaca...(I think that''s how it's spelled). She really is just so humble. She grew up that way. She grew up speaking Quechua. She didn't really learn Spanish until she was in elementary school. And she's lived a very humble life. But she has such a testimony of the gospel, and it was so fun to get to work with her. There weren't a whole lot of people in San Pedro...the people don't come out of their houses...but we worked well together.

All of our investigators are really good. They all have desires to listen to us, but sometimes it seems hard to get them to keep their commitments. But I guess that's where studying chapter 11 of PMG comes in, right? I'm also really excited too, because it looks like we're probaby going to be starting a family group in Ciudad de Dios, where Brenda lives. Ciudad de Dios is a small town about 10 minutes away from Guadalupe. There are 2 or 3 members that come to church regularly, but there are other members there that are inactive. I think for a lot of them it is hard to pay the passage to go and come every week. But we're working on getting it so that they can start meeting there, even if it is just in a house. Hopefully that will be up and going in January. It's so cool to be a part of taking the gospel to everyone. The Church has never been in Ciudad de Dios. The missionaries have visited...a little bit, but to have a place where members can go and visit, they haven't had that. They've had to travel to Pacasmayo, or to Guadalupe, which are further away! And just think, maybe in 20 years, there will be a branch or a ward there! And I'm so blessed to be a part of starting that! Pres Risso wants to put missionaries there in the next couple of transfers, which will be really cool too! There haven't been missionaries assigned to Ciudad de Dios specifically either. How cool is the Gospel!? Anywho, so that's the things that are most exciting that are happening here.

Sorry this is shorter. But hey, next week, I'm sure I'll have much to tell you! I love being a missionary. So many wonderful experiences every day. And I just love these people so much. I never thought that I really would just want the absolute best for random people, that I would feel so sad, frustrated, when they didn't seem to progress. But I know the Lord is in this work-it's His. And I love it, even though it's hard! Keep working hard there. I love you!
Hermana Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment