Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Jamie's Letter November 19, 2010

Hello everyone!

It seems like everything is becoming one big blur. Really, I think the MTC has developed some way to warp time. They could probably make a lot of money off of it.

Thank you so much for the packages and all of the letters. I love getting everyone's letters! They are awesome. I'm still not sure if you can send me packages in the Peru MTC. I'll guess we'll just find out when I get there. You'll have to let me know how Thanksgiving goes. I'll probably be so jetlagged that I won't even realize that it's Thanksgiving.

This week has been a really interesting one. I've had really good parts and really not-so-good parts. On Wednesday, Hna Demke and I ended up teaching what is called a "progressive investigator" here. This woman spoke only in Spanish and since we speak Spanglish (mostly English right now) it was very difficult. It was worse that we didn't even really have a plan going in to the lesson, and therefore the Spirit wasn't able to help us much. After that, we went right into the TRC and taught a woman (who spoke Spanglish too). She had a little probably 14-month old baby boy with her. While he was adorable, he was running all over the place, and it was distracting, and since we didn't really have the Spirit to begin with, it was just rough. Because of these experiences and then the ones we had last week, I really am coming to have such a strong testimony of the importance of having the Spirit in missionary work. It cannot happen without the Spirit. I've experienced trying to do missionary work with and without the Spirit, and the Spirit makes it possible. It is the Spirit which speaks truth to the heart. We are merely instruments in the Lord's hands. That's pretty much a summary of what I learned this week. It is important to focus on the work and have the Spirit. Oh-something else I learned too was that I really can feel the power of people's prayers. One time when I was feeling discouraged, I prayed that I could feel the strength of the prayers that were being said specifically on my behalf and on the behalf of all of the missionaries, and I did. I had never understood that statement "we can feel your prayers" but I did this time. Thank you for all of your prayers for me. It really means so much to me.

Considering I've only been in the MTC for 2 1/2 weeks, my Spanish is coming along fairly well, although I am looking forward to the day when I think and dream in Spanish. Right now it's all just translation going on in my head. I sometimes wish that I was just going English speaking, not because I don't want to learn Spanish, but because I just want to get out there and start teaching people about how wonderful the Gospel is! But I know that learning Spanish is going to be the way that I will be able to find those people in Peru that need the Gospel. I'm not learning Spanish for me, I'm learning it for them, and because of that, the Lord will bless me.

I'm sorry if this seems more like a journal entry than a letter home. I'm just kind of telling you about what I've learned this week and what is going through my head right now.

Oh! So I got some pictures printed out that we took with Hna Demke's camera. They aren't the best, but hopefully you'll be able to tell who is who. I'll try to get those sent out today so hopefully you'll have them by tomorrow. Hopefully you enjoy them.

So this week there were about 700 new missionaries that came into the MTC. It was kind of ridiculous. I guess it's because they aren't going to have people come in the day before Thanksgiving, which is nice. I'm just glad that I already came into the MTC, and that I don't have to say goodbye again. The next time I see you will be to say hello! But I don't really think about it too much. There is still so much I need to do and become!!

So I've heard rumors that Cameron got stuck up on the roof. WITHOUT ME?!?!?! Just kidding, it totally made me smile! I love those moments, smiling and praying for you that you are doing well. And-I got a little package from Ammon (Elder Arcia) yesterday! He sent me a Stripling Warriors coin from Deseret Book. It's nice to know that he still exists, and that he is thinking about me. I should write him sometime.

So I guess you can send pictures to me. I just can't send pictures to you yet. I think I'll be able to email you pictures home once I get out into the field.

Well, I'm going to wrap this up. I know that Christ lives, and that He is my Savior and Redeemer. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, that he saw God the Father and Jesus Christ in the Sacred Grove on that beautiful Spring day. I know that the Gospel is true and that we can be together as a family forever. I love you guys so much!

Love,
Hermana Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment