Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Jamie's letter Oct 10, 2011

Hey mommy! And daddy, and Cameron, and Laura and Emily and everyone else whom I love.

So, just so you know, when I get back, I'm now gonna have to work ridiculously hard! Remember how I'm gonna have to work to go to Guatemala, Paraguay, and Peru? Well, now I'm also gonna have to pay for the gas to drive to Midvale! Yep! I've got a North American, Utahn, companion! But I'll tell you a little bit more about her in a bit.

Well, I'm now in an area called Guadalupe. It's about an hour an a half away from Chiclayo, so going there is much of an option. I have to admit that this makes me sad-but I'm hoping that I'll end my mission in Chiclayo. (End of my mission?!?! What?!?!) We're living on the third story above a pharmacy. I like it. It reminds me of BYU. We have a nice view of what's called the Plaza de Armas. It's the central park of Guadalupe. Apparently there are about 39,000 people here. I'm in a branch, but it's only a branch because it's in a district. We're all working to help the district become a stake, and then they'll become a ward. Because it's the strongest place I feel like I've served. When the sacrament started, there were about 50-60 people there (as opposed to my other areas, that start the sacrament with 20-30, and another 30 enter after the sacrament). It is starting to warm up. Guadalupe is more in a valley, so it feels more like May at home. In Chiclayo it was getting hot. But it still gets pretty cool here at night.

Well, in Tuman I didn't use much of my musical skills, but that will change a whole lot here! Let me tell you a little bit about my companion. Her name is Hermana Westman. From Midvale, she's the youngest of 6 kids. She can speak Spanish a lot better than I could when I first got here. But she also likes music! And can sing! We've sung a little bit-she does soprano and I've done alto! I haven't sung alto since...I don't know when! And that's just my companionship. Now for my district. My district consists of us, the zone leaders (Eld Derocher-who was my ZL in Monsefu) and our district leader-Eld Bassett (who just got done being AP). He's from...I can't remember, Utah, and he's training Eld Harrop, from Layton. Yes, I am now in a zone of 5 north americans and 1 latino! That's unusual for me! Eld Bassett can sing too! Our district meetings are much more musical.

And in our zone-remember how when we had the musical fireside I played the piano with an Elder Despain? Well, he's in my zone now! I'm excited! Tomorrow we're gonna have our meetings in his chapel, and he says there's a piano! So yeah, in total, we're a zone of 10 people, 6 of whom are north americans. Which means I speak and hear much more english than I've heard since I left the mtc!

This change has been kind of hard on me. I loved being in Pomalca/Tuman so much! When I said goodbye to Hna Amelia, I cried. I cried when I said goodbye to Hna Machuca. When Hna Westman went to have her interview with Pdte Risso, Hna Risso asked me how I was doing, and I cried some more. (I didn't want my new comp to think that I wasn't excited to work with her...). I probably cried about the same amount as when I left you guys to come on the mission. And if I cried like this when I left one area, how in the world am I going to come home? I still have hope to see Hna Amelia again before I leave, and it's almost certain I'll see Hna Machuca again at some point! But when I leave Peru to come home? I don't know if I'll be able to do that...But the Lord still takes good care of me. My pensionista reminds me a little bit of Hna Amelia, and I do enjoy being here in my area. There were elders here before, so I'm basically doing the same thing that I did in Tuman. Wow how Pres. trusts me.

Responses to your other questions-the smarties were fine, I like them, if you want to send more, I won't complain :) Cute headband? Hm...brown, or cream, or maybe black. Something neutral, not too outlandish :) I'm not sure of my exact release date, but I'm pretty sure it will be around April 30-May 1-2 ish. Around that time. I'll probably get the conference liahona, but like always, if you want to send me another, I won't complain! That and I want an Oct ensign about the book of mormon in english, yes?

Well, I wish I had more time to write, but it looks like I'm running out of time. I love you so much, and I know that the Gospel is true!! Keep working hard!
Hna Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment