Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Jamie's Letter Oct 3, 2011

Hello my dear family! How are you?

Okay, first off, can I just say that conference was AMAZING?!?!? I have never gotten SO much out of conference ever before in my life! I'm ready for the Liahona to come, so that I can study all of the talks all over again! I listened to it all in Spanish-and I and the american elders agree the Pres Monson is SO much funnier in English. You just lose some of his wittiness in the translation. For this, all of my companions need to learn English :)
(I also think it's funny that conference doesn't wait for anyone-not even the prophet!)

I pretty much started crying when the said that they were going to build another temple in Provo, or, well, remodel. I'm not sure exactly what they are going to do. But it was so cool! Another elder in my zone, Eld Wilde, was also super stoked! The other missionaries don't quite get understand the meaning of it, but seriously-I pretty much didn't listen to the talk that followed because I was so excited! I got to see all of the sessions (well, minus priesthood). I watched a little bit of the Relief Society conference-the talk by Pres Uchtdorf (which, btw, was fantastic!) and the songs! I loved seeing people that I know!! We also watched something about how the perpetual education fund is helping people here. And that really is what Peru looks like. It really is such a help to the people here. So many of the people here don't even know how to read or write. Their children leave their studies at 12, 13, 14 to go work to help support their families....it's an ugly cycle. But it's good to know that the Church is helping those that want to change.

We went to Pomalca to see the Conference. I love that chapel. I love this place so much. I'm going to miss it...with that said, yes, I have transfers. I'm gonna go, finish packing all of my stuff (probably give some of it away) say goodbye to people that I absolutely love, and then go to the institute building tomorrow to meet my new companion! I'm training again! And I think I'm opening a new area! With the new mission, they're doing transfers in a different way. They tell us if we're going or staying, and then everyone meets in the institute building, and they tell us where we are going, who is our companion, and so on. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to train a north american. I'll no longer be the only north american sister in the mission! We'll see how well I can teach Spanish...But if the Lord has called me to do this, He'll help me. I really am going to miss everyone though. Especially Hna Amelia. She has been such a wonderful mom, sister, friend, everything here in the mission. I cried a little bit, and I'm sure I'm gonna cry much more when I actually have to say goodbye to her and her family. But I know that these changes are for the best.

In other things, I've decided to memorize "The Living Christ" (Well, really, I'm going to memorize "El Cristo Viviente"). I've looked at it, and I can divide it into 12 paragraphs or parts. Not super long. We have now 12 weeks until Christmas, and I've decided that this will be my Christmas gift to the Savior this year. I read in the Liahona from Sept 2010 about a mom who helped her young kids memorize The Living Christ, and the blessings they received from that, and I wanted to do the same. And then Eld Scott talked about the blessings of memorizing the scriptures, and that strengthened my decision even more. I'm so excited to have a better relationship with my Savior.

They opened my package in front of me, but everything was there. It hadn't been opened before. I opened the CD-thank you! I decided to wait until my birthday to open the shirts...I mean, the other presents! ;) And I made my cake today. Because I'm going to be transferred, and I wanted to have a birthday celebration with people I knew and loved (and I still have egg in my hair-I'm thinking I'm going to bring this tradition home with me! Beware on your birthdays!)

It sounds like you all are doing alright. I want you to know that I love you so much, and that I feel your prayers here. Everyday is a challenge, but it's good because without challenges we wouldn't grow. I know this is what the Lord wants me to do, and I want to serve Him because I love him. I know that the Lord really does answer our prayers, (which, btw, can I just say I like this idea of praying and then finding a little bit of money? I'm gonna have to try it out sometime!! ;)

I love you!!
Hermana Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment